Thursday, May 13, 2010

Finally figured out how to get this started. I enjoy the computer and all you can do with it, but not growing up in the "techie" age it is a little slow to figure out sometimes. It amazes me to see my grandchildren pop on the computer zip through different things faster than I can read the directions. I wonder what "new" ideas and inventions are out there in someones mind ready to be developed. I remember my grandmother talking about all the advancements and changes she had seen in her lifetime. She was born in the late 1800's and saw advancements in transportation. What awaits us? Will it be a blessing or a curse? Seems like all inventions and advancements have both.
Television-we have entertainment at our fingertips, movies to view whenever, information from all over the world but it can become ruler of our lives. I can remember life before television. We read, we played games, we used our imaginations, we were active.
We were one of the last homes in our neighborhood to get a TV. Dad said it was not going to last, I think it was the cost. Before TV Dad would play games with us. How many kids can say their Dad sat on the floor and played "Jacks", pick up sticks and other games with them. Once TV game into the house and Dad discovered sports on it that ended the play time.

3 comments:

  1. We still play games on the floor.

    I remember Grandpa setting the small tv on the large one to watch two games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't nearly as much as we should. I will likely cancel our cable tv for the summer. Cuts down on the bills and hopefully will lead us to getting more things done, and spending more time doing things together. We plan on going geocaching a lot this summer if I can get a unit at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister use to take their tv (yep only one in the house) down from the end of basebeall season and keep it put away for the summer/fall months so her kids would PLAY. They lived in the country and her son & daughter became best friends as well. As time passed they eventually quit taking it down, but never caved in for cable or ever watched that much. Now her children are grown & turned out wonderfully. My nephew is an Environmental Biologist ready to save our planet. My neice although still in college has been a international student in Germany and has an intellect that surpasses mine (I think I zapped too many brain cells watching the boob tube!)Much to be said for the quality time they spent together instead of watching tv all the time!

    ReplyDelete