Friday, May 28, 2010

Keepsakes

I have become the family's keeper of the keepsakes. I tend to be like my granny-I collect things. Not necessarily valuable things to anyone but me. Two of my sisters have passed on some items they had with the idea I will value them and keep them. They are correct. I have a bunch of old sepia tintype pictures that look like some of mom's ancestors, but I have no idea who they are. My aunt in Fla. might know if I could ever show them to her. Also I have become the keeper of a very old Bible about 6 inches thick that someone gave to Dad. It was printed in the 1800's, is falling apart, but in Dad's handwriting inside it says do not sell. Mom & Dad had 3 different times in their lives when they were apart. They wrote letters back and forth each time. Those letters are very fragile so I want to read them, put them in order and print copies and make a book of them for anyone else in the family that wants to read them. What is amazing to me is that they each kept the others letters, then Mom saved them all! What great history of their love for each other. So I guess it wasn't just grannies collecting, it was Mom too. Wonder what my kids will want to keep of mine?

5 comments:

  1. Maybe just scan the letters and make them part of your Blog?

    I said something to mom and I think I can get her to look in on the Blogs but she is hard set against Face Book. I will try and get over to her house and give her a lesson on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a good scanner mom, now that it is summer you can come over and scan them. We are getting ready for the open house, so I won't be right there to oversee everything, but I can show you how and you can get them in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestions. It would take a lot of scanning and posting. I don't think anyone realizes how many notes and letters there are. Also I am a little concerned whether some of the writing will show up some is in pencil and some of the ink ones are faded. Will definetly give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, instead of trying to do them all at once maybe it is just an on going series you put up a couple every now and then? what does not show up you can add a side bar note to it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bible sounds amazing! How grateful you must be to have it safe in your hands. I love Marks idea about scanning.
    By the way~ Let me introduce myself. Janis Gonzalez~ high school friend of Mark's. I go Blog jumping during my lunch hour to escape the accounting world of pensions & retirements.
    I started my Blog a couple of years ago & it has been a wonderful source of therapy and validates me & my feelings. I have over 500 postings but have stumbled upon a dry spell. I still have much to say... but seem to not be able to make the time to finish my drafts lately.
    Welcome to Blogworld! I hope you don't mind me following you. :)

    ReplyDelete